29 August 2016

Sermon 28 August 2016 Luke 14:1, 7-14 Proper 17 Year C

         It’s probably a good thing I’m only your temporary or transitional priest. It’s exciting that you will have a new priest some time in the future. Together you and s/he will discover anew how God is calling you to love and serve Christ. But the biggest reason it’s probably a good thing I’m what the army calls a “short timer” is because of this. (Brandish roll of toilet paper.) Yep, that’s right. You know what this is, and I’m willing to bet you’ve never seen one of these waved from the pulpit before. But, this is my symbol of humility, not a segue into bathroom humor. At least, it’s a symbol of humility for me anyway. And one of the primary things today’s Gospel leads us to is humility about whom it is that Jesus welcomes.
         So this roll represents humility to me; the thing that always seems to happen whenever I get a little too pleased with myself.
         I cannot tell you how many times I have preached a sermon, led a retreat, or given a presentation, and walked away sure that I was at the head of the table. I was right up there next to the host, in the place of honor. My ideas, my way of putting things, my articulate and witty ways are what made a difference in the success. Or so I thought.
         Then I walk into a bathroom. And there is no paper. Sometimes the roll is still neatly wrapped on the shelf. Sometimes there isn’t any roll and I have to go hunt for it. Other times, it’s obvious several people have used the roll, but not bothered to hang it up where it belongs.
         I used to sigh about it a lot. I used to feel put-upon, bothered, and maybe even the slightest bit martyred. My internal dialogue went something like this. “Why am I the only person who cares about others? I’m such a good person for changing the roll.”
It didn’t take me long to realize what I was doing wasn’t any more humble than taking glory for my accomplishments. Particularly because the way in which I was taking glory for my accomplishments, even changing the roll, meant that I thought no one else was as capable, brilliant, and caring as I thought I was being.
         The final blow to my idea of humility came from a pair of golden retrievers. I have some friends whose roll is never on the holder. Every time I visited them I patiently hung it up. Until one day, one of them took me aside and gently explained why. He told me the reason the roll wasn’t hung up was that if it were, their golden retrievers would grab the end of the roll and run gleefully through the house winding the paper around everything in sight. The retrievers would use the roll to decorate the whole house! The dogs grabbed that paper and ran round the dining table legs, around the kitchen island, over the bookshelves, across the bed and around the legs of the four-poster in the guest room. You can just imagine it. But, for whatever reason, the dogs ignore the roll if it’s just sitting there, off the holder.
         This experience with those two mischievous dogs was my important lesson about what humility really is. It’s a lesson I am still trying to absorb. Because today’s Gospel lesson seems like a simple etiquette lesson but really is about what the Kingdom of God is like.
True humility knows our gifts are no better than anyone else’s gifts. What makes the difference in our true humility is the knowledge that all gifts, all people, are welcome to sit at Jesus’ table.
Perhaps the essential core of true humility occurs at the end of the gospel we heard today. It is what Jesus says to the host of the dinner he attended, the dinner where Jesus watched people jockeying for position. Jesus warns us against being to proud. First he tells us not to sit too high because the host may ask us to go lower. And then, Jesus reminds us we will be blessed if we remember and invite those whom he loves.

When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or your rich neighbors, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”[1]

         True humility is scary stuff. True humility asks us to step away from our needs for comfort and wealth and look at who we really are. When we acknowledge who we really are, we discover that we too are poor, crippled, lame, and blind, not always in the literal sense, but in the real sense of being just as needy for God as anyone we invite. And that means we all have the same place at the table. No one is higher; no one is lower than anyone else. In acknowledging our own neediness we gain the freedom to join Jesus wherever there is a place at his table. We know that a place is prepared for us all, without regard to status or talents or money or how hard we pray or how hard we don’t. In true humility we know that Jesus invites us all to the table, to become his friends and companions and to walk with him now and always. AMEN.


The Rev Nicolette Papanek
©2016



[1] Luke 14:12b-14 (NRSV)

No comments:

Post a Comment