04 August 2016

Sermon 17 April 2016 John 10:22-30 Easter IV Year C

         In my family we invent words when words fail us. Some of the words and phrases we’ve invented have become legendary, at least within our family. And some of them aren’t fit for polite company, depending on how or why they were invented. Not only that, inventing words used to get us in trouble when we played Scrabble, which my father played with great ferocity. One of us would use a word we’d invented and isomeone would cry “foul.” Out would come the Oxford Unabridged Dictionary as the ultimate authority.
         My younger sister was – and still is – particularly good at inventing creative language. When she was a child, she used to do it through lack of understanding. For example, once when I was visiting, she came home from school extremely excited about an art project. She was explaining to us how her project looked, and she had painted part of it completely white. Having heard the expression “pitch black,” and not knowing “pitch” was a substance, she used the phrase “pitch white.” She assumed the word “pitch,” meant “all” or “completely.” We all laughed, and the expression has become part of our insider language. It’s what we say when we want to describe something as being “all” or “completely.” It not only raises a laugh, it gets the point across. It’s the way our family communicates. If the Papanek family owned a paint factory, we’d probably name one of our paint chips “pitch white.” But no one else would get it.
         So, in the tradition of my family, as I studied John’s gospel, I decided to make up a word to describe who we are. According to Jesus we are “the unsnatchables.” Unfortunately, it’s not a real word, and it sounds like something you have for lunch. But I’m going to use it anyway because I think you know what I mean. I think you know being one of “the unsnatchables” means no one can snatch us away from Jesus, which is precisely what Jesus is getting at in today’s gospel.
The small piece of John’s gospel we heard today is a “family story.” It even starts out with the kind of intimate details we all use when we relate a family story. We use the time, the place, and what we were doing.
John begins this part of his gospel story by saying, “It was the festival of the Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon.”[1] You hear the time, the place, and what Jesus and his intimates were doing. Just like the little story I told you about my sister.
The next thing you hear in John’s gospel is who is a member of Jesus’ inner circle and who isn’t. Now when I told you my story about my sister, you know who you are, and you know you aren’t members of my immediate family. But by telling you the story, I have invited you in to my intimate circle. You know a part of my family language. You became at least a part-time Papanek by my invitation to intimacy.
In John’s gospel, John uses the phrase “the Jews” throughout his gospel to indicate who is an intimate of Jesus and who is not. John might as well call it thosewho believe in Jesus and those who don’t. it’s an alert to the listening audience as to who are the followers of Jesus and who are not. So John is telling us that some of the people walking with Jesus were members of Jesus’ intimate circle, that is, they were believers, and some were not believers. And the people who are not part of the intimate circle question Jesus about his status. Specifically, those not part of the inner circle ask for an explanation. They want to know if Jesus is the Messiah. They don’t understand his language. They want explanations. They are asking for certainty.
         In his answer, Jesus tells his listeners what it means to be a family member of the Messiah. Jesus says to them,
“My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.”[2]

It’s Jesus’ way of saying, “If you are a member of my inner circle, you know my voice. You know the language I use. You know the insider terms, the intimate expressions we use with one another. And if you know these things, then you wouldn’t ask this question.”
It’s as if you and I were having a conversation about the color I just painted my house. And to explain what I’d done, I said, “I painted it ‘pitch white’.” If you were a member of my family, or a listener in the congregation today, you’d know I painted the whole thing white. But if you were an outsider, someone who hasn’t heard the story, you wouldn’t understand.
If you were listening on the day John describes, and you were a follower of Jesus, you knew what Jesus meant. Because you knew his voice, his terms, his intimate language. You knew that Jesus and God were one. If you were a follower of Jesus, a member of his inner circle, then you were one of “the unsnatchables.” No one could snatch you from his hand. If you weren’t a follower, none of it would make much sense. The comforting thing for you and for me is that we really are “the unsnatchables.” Even when we think we probably could be snatched away. Because most of us have some misconceptions those who sit round us in church. Or even other people we talk to about our faith. We tend to assume, unless we have a really deep discussion, that we are the only one who has doubts. We think we are the only one who ever wakes up in the morning and has to wait for belief. We are the only one for whom sometimes belief doesn’t come that day, or the next day, or even the day after that. We think we are the only ones for whom belief isn’t there and we hope, wait, and try to believe that someday we’ll believe again. But a little or a lot, belief every day or belief once a day, or belief only on alternate days, we are still held in God’s hands. We are “the unsnatchables” in the hands of God. God’s love never ends.[3]
If we are followers of Jesus, no one can snatch us out of God’s hand. You and I are members of the intimate circle of Jesus. We are members of The Jesus Movement. We are gathered together by God; members of the intimate circle of Jesus, and marked by the Holy Spirit as Christ’s own for ever. We are “the unsnatchables.” AMEN


The Rev Nicolette Papanek
©2016


[1] John 10:22-23 (NRSV)
[2] John 10:27-30 (NRSV) Italics mine.
[3] Paraphrase: 1Corinthians13:8

No comments:

Post a Comment