04 August 2016

Sermon 1 May 2016 John 5:1-9 Easter VI Year C

“We, without God, cannot; God without us, will not.” So said Saint Augustine of Hippo, Bishop and theologian, who died in 430 CE. One of my favorite saints, actually, because he struggled to give up those things that kept him from God and admitted he didn’t want to give them up quite as quickly as God wanted.
         “We, without God, cannot; God without us, will not,” is part of what’s going on in our Gospel story of the man lying by the pool of Beth-zatha.
         The first thing Jesus asked the man lying by the pool was, “Do you want to be made well? What a strange thing to ask someone. Everyone wants to be made well, don’t they? Well, don’t they?
         Apparently not, because what does the man say to Jesus in return? He whines. He’s full of excuses about why he can’t be healed. And. What he’s really saying in this. “Thanks Jesus, but no. I think I’ll just stay on my mat here by the pool. It’s pretty comfortable and I’ve been here for 38 years already. I know all the other folks at the pool and I’m probably not going to get better anyway and I’m used to being here so I’ll just stay the way I am, Jesus. Thanks for the offer but it’s really okay for me to lie here and keep hoping for healing. See, Jesus, what I really want is to stay the way I am but feel better about it.”
         Whenever I hear this story I’m surprised all over again. Maybe it’s because I’m not a very patient person myself, but I’m always surprised that Jesus doesn’t just walk away. Here Jesus is, the savior of humankind, offering to heal someone who has been ill for nearly forty years and all the guy can do is whine!
         But instead, Jesus practiced fierce compassion, or what we might call though love. The face Jesus showed to the man by the pool was the face of fierce compassion. Jesus says to him, “Stand up, take your mat and walk.” And our friend by the pool does just that.
         But it’s not over. Anyone who has been lying there for that long has a lot of changing to do. Lying by the pool is passive. Being there is easy and being upright…not so much. Being upright involves going places and doing things. It involves being with others who are upright and bending down to talk to those who still need healing. It’s tough and messy and most of the time not even rewarding. It’s a real temptation to take that mat and put it back on the ground and stay there.
         It’s too bad the story doesn’t have a happy ending. The part we don’t hear is what happens once this guy picks up his mat and walks. He doesn’t even know it was Jesus that healed him. And apparently doesn’t think much about it until he’s confronted by the authorities. They want an explanation. But our friend with the mat doesn’t know who Jesus is. I’m sure once he told the authorities he didn’t know who healed him he could go off and not be bothered.
         Jesus finds him in the temple though. I suspect Jesus seeks him out because he knows the temptation of falling back on the mat and lying down, and he knows how hard it is to let old habits die and learn new ways. So he seeks out our friend and reminds him of his healing, “See, you have been made well! Do not sin any more, so that nothing worse happens to you.” The sin wasn’t his illness; the sin was being willing to remain the way he was.
         You would think that would do it, wouldn’t you? Only it doesn’t. Because just as soon as Jesus reminds him he’s been healed and tells him not to sin any more, he rats out Jesus to the authorities. Now there’s gratitude for you!
         This is a very human story. How many of us, when offered healing, whine about how we have to cooperate with our own healing? How many of us resist doing the things we know we need to do to be healed? And how many of us find someone else to blame for what’s happening? It’s my genetics. I’m too busy to do that. I’m too tired. My neighbors are too noisy, or too dirty, or too poor, or too different. I need more money before I can. I need more time before I can. I need more people to join me.
         Somehow I think Jesus would get fiercely compassionate with us the same way he got fierce with the guy by the pool. First he’d ask us: Do you really want to be healed? And then, even if we whined, he’d tell us, “Pick up your mat and walk.” It’s important to note: Jesus doesn’t waste time deciding if we’re worthy of healing. He doesn’t waste time with conditions or costs or numbers. He doesn’t ask any more questions, he simply heals.
         But it’s not over yet. Jesus is going to seek us out to see if we are discarding our old way of behaving and learning new ways of behaving. And he’s going to show us his fierce compassion again. He’s going to remind us, “See, you’ve been made well! Go and keep doing what’s good.”
Because for our deepest healing to occur, it has to be both God and us. God with us, because even with God’s grace, “We, without God, cannot; God without us, will not.” AMEN.  


The Rev Nicolette Papanek

©2016

No comments:

Post a Comment