25 May 2017

Sermon Palm/Passion Sunday, Year A, Matthew 26:14-27:66, 9 March 2017



         Welcome to the Sunday of “The Big Why.” Many of us come today and leave today with this big question of why. This is a question we usually ask ourselves in the depths of sorrow, or anger, or fear. Why this? Why now? Why was my job eliminated? Why did my beloved child get cancer? Why is my spouse developing dementia? Why do I have to put up with this – whatever “this” is – for so many years? Why the Holocaust? Why the slaughter of Innocents? Why the children in Syria? Why am I suffering? Why me, Lord? Why them? Why us? Why?
         The Big Why is also a question many people ask about the journey to the cross and subsequent death of our Lord Jesus Christ. It’s not enough to say death was necessary for resurrection. It’s not enough to say Christ’s death was some sort of substitution for our own deaths. It’s not enough to say Christ’s death on the cross is the victory over sin and death. All of these theological theories highlight parts of the reason but that is all they can do for most of us.
         It may be comforting to know we’re not the only ones to wrestle with the Big Why. People just like us have wrestled with these questions and so have and do theologians and thinkers, intellectuals and even those who were with Jesus. The disciples didn’t understand. The women at the tomb didn’t understand. The crowd didn’t understand. Everyone is left empty at the foot of the cross wondering the Big Why.
         I don’t have the answer either. Jesus never gave a complete explanation himself. He never gave us the details. He never answered the Big Why. He never answered the exact reason for all that suffering and that devastating death. He predicted his death frequently, surely, but never really gave us the Big Why.
         Take comfort, my friends on the journey with what Jesus did give us. He does give us an answer to an enormous question, perhaps the most important question of all. Because while the Big Why may puzzle us and confuse us, the question isn’t really why, but for whom?
         At the meal before his death Jesus took bread, broke the bread, gave it to his friends and said, “This is my body, which is give for you.”
         For you. For me. For the disciples who followed him. For the women who went to the tomb. For those who betrayed him. For those who didn’t listen. For those who listened but didn’t pay attention. For the sick, the hungry, the weary. For the poor, the destitute, the hopeless, the suffering. For the wealthy, the arrogant, the vain. For all, but most of all, for you, for us, and for all.
         The hardest part of this Sunday and the gospel itself is that we never really get the answer to why. But what we do get is the answer to for whom. And in the end, this may be the most important answer of all. The most important answer because it is something we cannot explain, just as we cannot explain so many other things in this life. Why suffering? Why death? Why now? Why me?
Remember this though, there are other why questions that cannot be answered either. Why does my spouse or partner love me? Why does my child love me? Why do people I hardly know welcome me? Why do my friends put up with me? Why is God’s universe endlessly beautiful and fascinating despite all our efforts to destroy it? Why does God love me? Why?
         We may never know the answer to why. What we do know is that God’s deep unchanging and never-ending love is for all. Christ Jesus for us! Christ Jesus for you. Christ Jesus for me.
         And so my friends in Christ, as you contemplate the events of Holy Week and this familiar and yet confusing story of the Passion of our Lord, never mind the why. Listen for the whom. For all. For us. For me. For you. AMEN.

The Rev Nicolette Papanek
©2017


No comments:

Post a Comment