07 November 2016

Sermon 30 October 2016 Luke 19:1-10 Proper 26 Year C

         Today’s reading from Luke’s Gospel is one of the best examples I can think of about how biblical translation is really something of an art rather than an exact science. The fortunate thing about the inexactness of biblical translation is that it gives us opportunities to see or hear or think about scripture in different ways.
Take our friend Zacchaeus, the tax collector, as an example of how we might think differently. Most of us have heard this story told and preached and discussed as a story of repentance. And anyone who went to Sunday School probably remembers Zacchaeus was short. You might remember learning a song in Sunday School about Zacchaeus. “Zacchaeus was a wee little man.” That’s how the song starts. It goes on to tell how Jesus told Zacchaeus to come down from the tree because Jesus wanted to come to his house. The song finishes with, “Zacchaeus came down from that tree, as happy as he could be, he gave his money to the poor, and said, ‘What a better man I’ll be.’” Well, maybe.
There are two things going on here. The first is, who was short? It’s really hard to tell from the way the Greek reads. Grammatically speaking, the short guy could be either Zacchaeus or Jesus. Take your pick. And while you’re chewing over the idea that your Savior might be short, how about the second thing?
That second thing is even more puzzling. The Greek uses the present tense for what Zacchaeus says to Jesus. And, translated this way, it doesn’t sound as though Zacchaeus is in need of repentance or feeling ashamed of what he does. It sounds a whole lot more like simply telling someone what you do. More like this, “Yeah, I work for the IRS, I mean the Roman government, but I only collect what’s due. And, half of what they pay me, I give to the poor. If it turns out the records were wrong or I collected too much, I give the person back four times as much as I took.”
The translation we have in most bibles is the one Deacon Beth read, “Look, half of my possessions, Lord, I will give to the poor; and if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I will pay back four times as much.”[1] If we translate what Zacchaeus says in the present tense, as it appears in the Greek, it means something quite different. And, it is likely how it reads when scholars get done arguing about whether or not it was intended as past tense, or pluperfect tense, and anyway, most of us have forgotten what pluperfect tense is, even we ever learned it in school. What we’re talking about here instead of future is our friend Zacchaeus saying this, “I give to the poor; I give back four-fold.” I could keep going, but I’m pretty sure I’d not only bore you. I’d also bore myself with all the ins and outs of tenses in language: present, past, and future and a good many others as well.
But you know what? This gospel isn’t really about nuances or shades or ins and outs of language. It’s about acceptance and love. It’s about Jesus welcoming those we might not want to welcome because we’ve made judgments about them. And because we have judged those folks, we’d sure feel better about ourselves and about welcoming them if they’d come clean and repent.
Sure, yes, there are places in scripture where repentance is stressed. But Jesus isn’t in the trading business here. He doesn’t say, “You give me repentance and I’ll give you salvation.” Instead, Jesus seeks out the least, the lost, those shunned and despised by society and the world and he offers us all acceptance and love. Jesus finds others in the same way he finds us.
What this story is about is being sought and seen. It’s about being sought and seen by Jesus. And once found and seen, Jesus offers acceptance and love.
When Jesus shows up and looks up, seeking Zacchaeus in the tree, he really sees him. What Jesus sees is a man people shun and despise because they think he is a sinner. Inside that sinner, though, lives a hidden saint. Zacchaeus may look like a blatant sinner, but when Jesus sees him he sees inside him to the hidden saint.
What would you need to see as Jesus sees? What would you need to look inside a blatant sinner, and see the hidden saint inside? And what do you need to see the hidden saint inside you? AMEN.

The Rev Nicolette Papanek
©2016



[1] Italics mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment