01 April 2018

Sermon Maundy Thursday John 13:1-17, 31b-35 28 March 2018 Year B


         Foot washing makes most people uncomfortable. It’s an intimate act and it’s done in public. That, of course, means it cuts across at least two of the remaining boundaries we have in our society.
         Foot washing makes me uncomfortable as well. It might make you uneasy for some of the same reasons. I have ugly feet. I have scars. I have bunions. One toe was broken and looks odd. I gaze enviously at photographs of bare footed women on beaches, not because of their bathing suits but because of their beautiful feet. I wonder how they’ve managed it. Heredity? Exercise? Better surgery? Botox for the feet? Daily foot massage?
         Now you probably know more about me than my mother did. It was uncomfortable to say, and may have been uncomfortable for you to hear. Just like foot washing itself.
         We’re in very good company, though. Peter didn’t want Jesus to wash his feet. He protested vehemently. Jesus’ reply was, “Unless I wash you, you have no share in me.” That is a sobering thought. It is especially sobering because we are the hands and feet of Jesus now, and if we do not serve one another, how can we expect Jesus to be present among us?
         Unless we accept that intimacy with Jesus, that great love he offers us, we are empty shells. We go about doing intimate things perhaps, but we are detached from those things rather than demonstrating the love Jesus commanded us to do on this same night.
         “Do you know what I have done to you? You call me teacher and Lord – and you are right, for that is what I am. So if I, your teacher and Lord, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have set you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.”
         First Jesus gave us himself as an example of what serving others looks like and how intimate it is. That it is an act of love that engages the heart as well as the hands and feet.
         Then Jesus gave us the new commandment that he had just illustrated: to love one another as he loves us. And not just those of us here, but those who have betrayed us, hurt us, loved us only a little or a lot, made us unhappy, made us angry, or anything else hard to love.
At the end of this service tonight we will strip away all the things we use to beatify the church. You will not see them again until the Easter Vigil. As we strip away the things we use for worship, imagine that you are having all your fears and all your dirt stripped away. Listen. Watch. Can you hear Jesus? Can you see him? He is standing here among us, holding his basin and wearing his towel. He is waiting to wipe away our dirt, and fear, hate, and jealousy, and offer us intimacy and love. Let him in. Let him in. AMEN.

The Rev Nicolette Papanek
©2018

No comments:

Post a Comment